This delicious warming soup is full of goodness and bursting with flavour. Serves 6
3 orange red or yellow peppers
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 large onion
25g of butter
I small bunch of thyme, leaves picked from stalks and finely chopped
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Place the tomatoes in a large pan and cook them gently until they burst and cook down into mush, this should take around 30 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are cooking, half the peppers, remove the seeds and place them face down in a roasting tin. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper and place in the oven for 15 minutes or until the skins are blackened and coming away from the flesh. Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly. Remove the skins and set aside.
- Put the tomato mush through a moulie or, if you don’t have one. Push the tomato mush through a sieve to remove most of the seeds and skins and leave you with a delicious tomato liquid which you should put to one side.
- Finely chop the onion and grate the carrot and sweat them in a large pan with the butter.
- When the vegetables are becoming soft, add the peppers, tomato liquid and thyme.
- Simmer gently for 30 minutes. Season to taste and serve with a dollop of yoghurt and some basil or thyme leaves.